Growing up at home, I could not imagine taking anything with you inside the toilet. Then I went to college and noticed people taking their phone in the toilet, talking on the phone while in the toilet, playing games, listening to music, watching videos on their phone while in the toilet. I can’t remember exactly, but I think I almost never did it back then.
Then I moved to my job and rented an apartment where I got a room with personal toilet attached to my room. The toilet was closest to me it has ever been and there were times I was too busy with my phone but nature’s call was also strong — so I started going to the toilet with my phone.
Slowly the action taken in emergency case became normal and turned into a habit.
And then I never questioned if I really need my phone in the toilet.
I got a new phone about a week back and found it too precious to be taken to the toilet. As I was getting bored there without my phone, this idea came to me- why is it so natural to carry and use my phone in the toilet?
Here are a few points I could think of against it:
- HYGIENE !!! Just think about it. You can’t afford to wash your phone, right?
- There are times when using a phone can help to get the work done faster, but in most cases, it is just delaying the process as it diverts your attention.
- You end up spending time even after you are done because you are too focused staring at that screen to realize that it’s time to go.
- Just go there, do what you are supposed to do, and come out. There are better places to enjoy staring at your phone.
- Maybe sitting there with nothing to do but listening to your mind and body is a form of meditation?
- Do you get some great ideas when in the shower? It is because you are not using your phone in the shower. You can get the ideas when on the toilet seat (like I got the idea for this post), you just need to stop using your phone.
I am not asking to make it a hard and fast rule. You can carry and use it if it is an absolute necessity. You should carry your phone with you in toilets at public places (your office, malls etc), keep it safe and do not use it, because the door might not function, and you can get locked up inside, and need to call someone for help.
This brings me to the end of this short post. Clap for it if you like the idea or it made you think, let me know in comments if you agree or not.